Sunday, January 9, 2011

Biting the Bullet

We did it! After reading your comments, I felt more comfortable letting Grace "cry it out". I never let the boys in bed with us, unless they had a nightmare and even then, it was only until they fell back to sleep. But I kept hearing the IA doctor say she must "feel vulnerable at nighttime". But this needed to be done in the interest of mommy not being so darn tired all the time.

Here is an update.....

Friday nap: Decided to let her cry it out at nap time first. She fussed, whined, cried on and off for about 45 minutes then laid down and went to sleep. Woo hoo! (at the 30 min. mark, I went to her door and said she needed to go sleep and I would be back when she woke up. Crying got a little loud then, but then stopped.)

Friday night: Rocked her, laid her down awake, music on, left room. She stood immediately, faked cried for 2 minutes then laid down and went to sleep. Major Woo hoo!!!!! Slept until 5 am. We didn't know what to do at that time since we were worried she would cry for hours since she had a good amount of sleep already, so we brought her in bed with us. I know, I know.

Saturday nap: Same routine and she only fussed for about 1 minute.

Saturday night: Same routine and she stood, yelled, laid down and went to sleep. But....

Woke up at 3:50! Brad went in, laid her down and told her to go back to sleep. We would be back in the morning. She cried on and off for over 2 hours!!!!! She would cry, lay down for 5-10 minutes, get back up, cry, repeat. One time she was quiet for a while, so I went in to cover her up. I was afraid she would wake from being cold since her room is the coldest in the house. I opened her door, started to walk in and her head flipped up. I ducked out of the room but went the wrong way. Now I was trapped with her door opened and on the wrong side. If I walked by she would see me. I crouched down while my body made the noises of an 80 year old woman (creaks and cracks) and S L O W L Y pulled her door just enough so I could get by. She of course was screaming now, but it only lasted a couple minutes. She eventually fell asleep at 6 am and slept until 8:30.

Hopefully tonight she won't bother waking. It wasn't fun, but not as bad as I thought it would be. I'm making sure she gets lots of extra hugs and kisses today :)

5 comments:

Debbie said...

Thats great news! I laughed when I read about you crawling out of the room....it rang so true with our Grace! I often do that too...
As a first time mum I struggled with the crying thing but I do think its the right thing to do. I always wait outside her room until I know she had definetly gone over. Well done on your progress. Ps love your blog!

Our Russian Adopted Princess said...

Great job Jeannete! It is hard, but so well worth the efforts. Don't forget their maybe a few times that she won't go down as easily, but remain calm and let her know that you still love her and will be back in the morning to get her. Hope your sleeping gets back to normal now.

Bonnie said...

You're getting there! Good luck!! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you guys tonight.

C and C said...

eek... after only 9 months she has you sneaking around on your knees!!! ha. Glad that you and Dana have kept me grounded in reality.. not the end, but the beginning is approaching!

Nicole said...

Woohoo! That is awesome! But doen't that stink that our bodies sound like an old door :)
Glad I am not alone :)
Nicole