Monday, January 24, 2011

Speech Evaluation

Grace had her speech evaluation last week and didn't qualify for services. I originally wanted her to qualify, but after hearing two professionals say she was doing well, I was happy that things turned out the way they did. Grace scored smack dab in the middle of "average" but considering her being internationally adopted, they said she really would be closer to "above average".

She has added over 20 words the past month after first making the appointment. But she rarely says anything when prompted. It has to be on her terms. Well, during the evaluation she would label objects when asked. It was a small room with a few toys. Things were tight, but Grace did very well. She usually doesn't like being so close to people she doesn't know. She even sat on the lap of the girl doing the testing without any struggling....AMAZING! Then the head therapist (for lack of a better word) hugged her real tight and squished Grace's head into her belly. Grace put her head back for more! I couldn't believe it! A couple times during the evaluation, Grace had had enough and went to the door, turned waved good bye and said "bye". Too funny!

So for now we are only doing OT once a week. Saves me $25 copay and a 30 minute drive each way! We will go back in about 6 months to make sure she is still on track.

Just to follow up..... Grace is still putting herself to sleep with no crying and staying in her own crib all night!!!!!!

5 comments:

Our Russian Adopted Princess said...

Wow what great news. I know that you want the best for Grace, but it sounds like you are doing a great job with her. My IA dr., just says, keep talking to her and telling her everything and she will pick up lanuage easier. The boys love to interact with her, but we have noticed she dosen't say her "s", like Santa, Snow, etc... Good to hear she is sleeping thru the night. What a blessing, and congratulations as a Mom, you jumped another hurdle. Sally

Wendi and Terry said...

Yeah, yeah, yeah!! You are getting such great reports on Grace - she's thriving! Keep up the great work! And, so happy to hear you are getting more sleep these days!

xoxo,
Wendi

Denise said...

i like posts with pictures.

amy said...

Yeah for Grace ~ so happy to hear she is doing so well and sleeping in her crib!

I haven't had Clara Jane tested by a speech therapist yet but have been thinking about it. She probably says 10 words regularly, but uses another 10 off and on. I start getting paranoid about progress, but once I step back and take a breath, I realize just how amazing these kids are!!!

Bonnie said...

Excellent news on both fronts!